Slow tracking

edited June 2017 in Support
Hi there, 

I'm experiencing that although tracking is accurate, it seems to be not fluid - when I move my head, the position does not update frequent enough, resulting in a "stuttering" movement.

This happens only to the tracking, the image rendering and reception is fluid - 55-65 FPS.

This happens both in SteamVR games and also in the "demoscene" app. The problem can be perceived in the screen of the computer itself. The problem is not the transmission of the image to the phone.

Also, I have experienced that this happens only when Nolo is tracking. If I switch the tracking options in Rifcat to phone sensors the issue does not happen (although the position drifts, as it always happens with phone sensors).

Hence, it's clear to me that the problem is with Nolo tracking too slow, or sending the tracked position not frequently enough to the computer.

Is there any tool to measure the FPS Nolo is tracking at?

I only have one USB 3.1 port in my computer. Should I use this for connecting the headset or the thetering phone?

Thank you.

Comments

• edited June 2017
    if you want better performance you better off hook your phone to your pc and head tracker to pc as well. Wifi  will allway lag it not even perfect for stream games 
  • Garrapeta explained that the issue happens even on the computer screen...  I would imagine wifi vs USB video streaming would not be the problem if the lag is showing even on the mirrored computer screen.

I am seeing the same thing, each movement is MUCH slower then I was seeing in the developer videos.  I haven't been able to get USB tethered video streaming to work yet...  (doesn't find my phone, or reconnecting loop.. ect)  so maaybe it's somehow related, even though lag appear on the computer as well as the headset?..

@Garrapeta, are you using Wifi video streaming too? 

Anyone else have any Ideas?
  • edited June 2017
    best bet get better router make sure have good enough CPU and graphic card can handle wifi transmit 

wireless idea for head not best option for right now  plus the input will take longer then your body can do 

if you look for wireless best just get phone app made for vr. pc transmit for vr still really buggy and we dont have good enough streaming tech to do it. even streaming PC game to tv has input lag 
  • Hi,

I'm the OP (I had to register a new account in the forum).

The connection is done with USB tethering, as it's a cardboard setup.

As explained, the jitter that I am experiencing relates ONLY to the tracking. 
    Video is fine - it's streamed fluidly and received on the phone at a good FPS rate.

The issue does not happen when using phone sensors as the tracking system - hence, what it's not working fine here is Nolo tracking.
  • @guarrapeta,  oh!  This 'jitter' is a different issue then the general lag.  

RiftCat team has said they are aware of the general lag Nolo introduced and they are in contact with the Nolo devs to try and reduce it.

The 'jitter' issue (turning your head causes, like, seeming fps drops or larger degree turning) is a phone specific issue.  A number of users have reported it and it seems to only happen with specific phones.  My phone is a Nexus5 and it turns smoothly but my partners phone is a Google Pixel and her's jitters really badly when she turns her head (this is seen on the same computer / setup as my smooth phone).   Video runs smoothly, controllers track smoothly, head turning = jitter hell.

what type of phone do you use?  Have you tried wifi streaming in RiftCat?