Oculus DK2 as a steamVR headset

Hi,

I have just received my nolo for dev purposes and everything is working fine. I am able to play steamVR home through riftcat without any issues.

However I have got cheaply oculus DK2 so I dont have to mess around with my phone all the time, followed the nolo tutorial and various forums on how to make DK2 recognized as SteamVR headset but no luck.

Is anyone working/playing on dk2 ?
Did the nolo + oculus dk2 github worked for you ?
Is dk2 just dead, unsupported and not worth it anymore ? :)

I can always work with my phone, its just the dk2 seemed more convenient as it is a one piece kit.

Comments

• The DK2 is supported with the latest Oculus Home and built-in SteamVR driver, and works very well. The problem comes when trying to integrate a tracking solution, as the Oculus drivers aren't open source and so the Nolo support can't be easily added to it. So, I believe (haven't really looked deeply into it, because it's a non-starter for me), there is a way to get the DK2 working with OSVR, then to use the Nolo OSVR driver to talk to it. As you can imagine, that's 3 API layers to go through (not including Nolo) so it's not gonna be great. I'm just putting the finishing touches of Nolo support onto my software iVRy (smartphone based HMD for SteamVR), and then I'm going to look at making a standalone driver just for the Nolo controllers, so that they can be used with existing HMDs without jumping through lots of hoops... So, you'd have to attach the Nolo sensor to the HMD for the controllers, but the HMD tracking would be done by the Oculus camera.

• "and then I'm going to look at making a standalone driver just for the Nolo controllers, so that they can be used with existing HMDs without jumping through lots of hoops... So, you'd have to attach the Nolo sensor to the HMD for the controllers, but the HMD tracking would be done by the Oculus camera."

Sounds great.  
  • Well, without OSVR I am still unable to project steamVR into the oculus, I load into gray-bluish screen. But I assume its because I haven't plugged in the oculus camera.

With the OSVR + NOLO + STEAM (with oculus home shut down) I get serialiser error in steam
  • @kubos AFAIK you have to use a pre-1.0 release of the Oculus drivers to get DK2 to work with OSVR. You will need to use the Oculus camera to work with the Oculus drivers. There is a way to deal with DK2 (jumping through lots of hoops!) without Oculus drivers and runtime installed. Don't recommend trying that unless you're developing an HMD hardware prototype. ;)

• I will give it another go with the camera. I havent plugged it in as I thought nolo takes care of that for me and the headtracking still works anyway so whats the point of having it :dizzy: 

I have installed the 0.8beta oculus runtime but that kept crashing every 30 seconds so I went back to 1.5 which atleast made the oculus work in oculus home
  • DK2 needs the camera for positional tracking, the orientation tracking is done by the HMD. AFAIK if you want to use DK2 with OSVR you need 0.70. Maybe you don't need the camera if you go the OSVR route. I don't know, because I don't think it's worth messing around with all that. I messed around with it for a bit when I thought that it was worth investing time into making OSVR drivers. I've subsequently realised that if you want SteamVR support it's better to work on that and not try hodge-podge a solution out of OSVR and their SteamVR drivers...
  • Yeah thanks iVRy, I do think that aswell. I know VR has a long way to go for some proper normalisation and plug'n'play. I will try to set it up again with the oculus camera and follow the guides again and if its not going to work I will just abandon it as its not well worth it. AlsoI dont think that these "workarounds" are the way to go forward.

On the other side SteamVR + riftcat works great. I just need to get one of them clip on phone vr headsets as mine closes the phone inside and I cant really plug cables into it. Also to be honest my phone VR has much higher quality than DK2 which is pretty bad I must say.
  • Then you have to abandon the idea that dk2 will work or are there still hope?
  • edited July 13
    @vincerex The (Oculus) DK2 tracking is fine for the HMD, so doesn't matter if Nolo supports it or not. It's possible for me or someone else to make a controller-only SteamVR driver for Nolo so that the motion controls can be used with any headset with a SteamVR driver. It's not possible to add HMD tracking to a driver that doesn't have source code available (eg. any Oculus HMD).

• @vincerex , @iVRy So I have made DK2 work with oculus home and with steamVR without any issues and it does work well. (SteamVR + Oculus home, latest versions). My issue was I have not plugged in the camera.

NOLO + OSVR + OCULUS  DK2+ STEAM VR = not working on the newest drivers to a point steamVR itself is breaking and giving errors, doesnt detect nolo at all. I dont think I want to test with DK2 oculus runtime 0.7 beta its a lot of messing around for steamVR which im not interested at the moment.

I have made a first build for android and it does work. I am still figuring out how far to stand, how to position my base station etc, I am totally new to VR HW, but seems like I am on a good path and should be building soon