I'm very satisfied with the 0.7 ver 360 degree dll.

I'm very satisfied with the 0.7 ver 360 degree dll. The problem that occurred when the controller came close to the body was solved and the tracking quality seems to be improved. It is surprising that even one base station shows a satisfactory 360 degree position tracking quality. My basestation is installed at a height of 230cm.

Comments

• Sounds very promising. I am mainly using my Rift now, but I hope to try this out soon.
  • @Caldor Due to the sale event, rift users seem to be increasing a lot.
  • Yup, it has also started many Vive vs Rift debates in VR groups... I think its good with more people owning VR. It seems like a really good time to get into it, so many great games to try.

I am hoping to find a way to use my Rift headset with the NOLO VR to see what the difference would be compared to use a phone + Riftcat.
  • edited July 2017
    @Caldor Very interesting! It would be fun if nolo vr could run on oculus Home. I have contacted nolo about the dk2 and nolo vr running on oculus Home and waiting for an answer.
  • Revive is the way to go for Oculus-related content. Facebook has been trying hard to keep everyone else off their store and their exclusive deals. They even tried to block Revive a couple times but that backfired because to go around the block Revive had to circumvent the DRM on Oculus store games. This cause Facebook to backtrack a bit and stop trying to block Revive.
  • @Caldor @VRMan It's not as easy as it sounds. In order to use a DK2 properly you want to be using it with Oculus' drivers. So, like I am doing, you need to incorporate the Nolo controllers into SteamVR with their own driver. The problem comes in that SteamVR expects the HMD and controllers to be operating in the same co-ordinate system, which in the case of DK2 and Nolo they are not, due to running 2 different tracking systems. So the driver has to convert Nolo co-ordinates given by the controllers into Oculus co-ordinates, which I haven't managed to do reliably yet.

So the next option would be to get DK2 to use Nolo tracking, which can only be done if you implement a DK2 driver from scratch, not using Oculus' software, which obviously is never going to work well. What's left is trying to get an unmodifiable driver (like the Oculus driver for SteamVR) to give up its own attempts at tracking and use an external tracker. This is not a scenario supported by either the Oculus driver or the design of OpenVR HMD drivers in general, so you could try hacking the driver and then be left at the mercy of your solution breaking every time either SteamVR or the Oculus driver is updated, obviously not a good scenario either.

Which brings us back to the only method that can work, which is finding a way to translate Nolo co-ordinates into Oculus co-ordinates. It's not theoretically/logically impossible, so I will continue my efforts on that approach. As this is eating heavily into time I can rather spend on work that pays my bills I would either have to give this up or charge for such a driver. This approach would allow Nolo controllers to be used with any SteamVR headset that had its own tracking, without having to modify the headset's driver in any way.

In the case of using Nolo controllers with a DK2 headset to play Oculus apps, it's really not possible, as Oculus doesn't provide any means to add non-Oculus hardware to an Oculus setup, and ReVive doesn't work on Oculus headsets.

So, ironically, DK2 would be the only SteamVR headset to not be able to use Nolo controllers to play Oculus content. My SteamVR driver emulates Vive controllers accurately enough to allow a phone with Nolo to run most Oculus Touch titles (of course Vive controllers cannot fully emulate finger tracking as they have none).
  • @Jazneo @Zomby

Thanks, currently there is no way to enable revive on dk2.

• http://www.openhmd.net/index.php/devices/ indicates that OpenHMD supports the Rift DK2. If you can load that without Oculus' drivers getting in the way, in theory the OSVR-OpenVR-Revive path should be possible. Not saying it would be easy, though. 
  • @LoneTech Yes, it's possible to run DK2 without Oculus software, but not something I'm even vaguely interested in. AFAIK, it's either all or nothing. You can either remove all Oculus software from your system and cobble together some kind of working HMD, or have Oculus' software and then not even be able to use it with OSVR at all (OSVR only works with Oculus < 1.0 as >= 1.0 takes complete ownership of the HMD display and it's not possible to use it as a 'monitor').

Similarly unattractive to use OSVR as a middleman for running OpenVR software (even if there was a 1st party Oculus driver for OSVR, which there isn't and probably won't ever be).
  • There is another option, which is available to highly skilled driver developers with lots of time and no need for money, developing a work-alike OpenVR driver for Oculus. It wouldn't be that hard (for me or anyone with that level of understanding), you would implement a IVRDriverDirectModeComponent driver for OpenVR that uses the Oculus SDK (just like Valve/Oculus did for the existing driver). It wouldn't be *that* hard as the IVRDriverDirectModeComponent is designed to plug easily into the Oculus compositor. You'd really have to *love* your DK2 though, because you could probably buy about 10 each of Oculus CV1 & Vive for what it would cost you (in opportunity cost assuming you're an employable developer with limited time).

• edited July 2017
    This type of work makes more sense if you're using it as learning exercises, but it would naturally be more productive to try with an current undersupported headset, rather than one that's also obsolete. 

I don't expect to see anything interesting driver-wise first party out of Oculus until the OpenXR initiative starts publishing something. As for tech, Carmack's talks can be good. 
  • edited July 2017
    @LoneTech It doesn't even make sense in that scenario, as implementing an IVRDriverDirectModeComponent driver for Oculus isn't going to teach you very much, as those skills would only be applicable to writing OpenVR drivers for Oculus, which is a role that is adequately filled by Valve and Oculus.

If you did want to learn how to implement IVRDriverDirectModeComponent drivers you'd be better off learning that with a non-Oculus headset as I did, as those skills would be useful for something else, perhaps. One of the things you'd learn along the way is how to implement a VR compositor that acts similarly to Oculus' if you ever wanted to know how to do that! :wink:
  • edited July 2017
    But they released a video not long ago about how to get DK2 to work with NOLO?

Found it:

• Hmmm, the video does not show the controllers being connected, only the DK2 using OSVR