Has anyone been using Nolo with Cardboard?

I have only used Nolo with my GearVR, but I just upgraded to the S8 and my old GearVR is not gonna work with it.  So I'm left with deciding whether to get a good cardboard headset, or the newer expensive GearVR.

My primary concern is with Nolo handling rotational data; is it actually any good?  Has anyone been able to compare using a GearVR handling rotational data and then having Nolo do it?  (I did early on and comparatively, the GearVR did it immensely better/smoother.  This could be different for others tho and I only tested if for a few minutes)

Comments

• NOLO does a fine job, but when using NOLO without a PC it defaults to phone / headset sensors (so cardboard becomes phone only).

That said, I use only Cardboard VR as I don't have a Samsung phone and never really had major problems with either my LG G4 or ZTE Axon 7 (not the new 2017 Axon 7, just the regular older one).

Having recently purchased a Rift, I never really noticed major differences in the rotation at all between desktop and mobile, although that could be because mobile apps were designed for much less head turning to compensate.

Overall though? Since you have a nice phone that supports it the Gear VR is very cool for its exclusive apps, but if you're just using it for NOLO a cardboard headset should be fine!
  • I am currently using a Note 5 with the older Gear VR (B016OFYGXQ); so far that is working really well except I notice some Riftcat rendering issues over wifi; so I just ordered a homido cardboard v2 headset so that I can try out nolo and riftcat streaming over USB.  I should have that headset by Thursday, I'll come back here and update on the experience.

I too am a little worried that the lack of additional sensors in the Homido that the handling wont be as seamless as it currently is with the Gear VR, but its a trade off at this point.  Either have exceptional handling but Riftcat latency and artifacts or have ok/decent handling and no Riftcat latency.
  • @santiago.ryan Oh, how are you proposing no latency?
  • @bigelowed That's impressive that you don't really notice a difference in rotational tracking from Nolo's method to Rift's!  Maybe I'll have to give it a real good test and then decide from there whether to get Gear or Cardboard.  And yeah, GearVR is cool and all, but I've been there and done that, I absolutely can't stand not having positional tracking anymore, lol.  The image is much nicer and smoother in the GearVR software over Riftcat, but I get more dizzy from that lack of tracking than the lack of visual quaslity/smoothness, lol
  • This is probably a good comparison: https://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comments/32jnwy/difference_homido_vs_gearvr/cqc50a6/

Gear VR apparently is very comfortable, which makes sense since it's designed specifically for their phone.

It probably also handles heat better than the average cardboard headset.

I use a $20 cardboard headset "Gadgettree" from The Source, and it works well with my NOLO. It was a bit hard on the nose but I increased the stuffing in the padding to take weight off the bridge of the nose and now it's very comfortable (but of course, much heavier than the Rift!)

Hope that helps :)
  • The sensors in the GearVR are way better than what is in Nolo. Essentially GearVR has all of the sensors that are in an Oculus Rift, running at a much higher frequency (around 1000Hz compared to 60Hz). In addition, it has a compass to counter drift, which Nolo does not (AFAIK). But it doesn't have positional tracking, so one solution is to use the Nolo just for positional. It's tricky in this scenario, as you essentially have to slow down your rotational sampling to the speed of Nolo to get it to work properly, which then removes most of the benefit of using the phone/GearVR sensors in the first place...
  • @iVRy Last night I tested tethering with my cardboard v1 just to see how the Nolo worked handling rotation data, and like you said it is just not really that good; it felt super laggy, even while tethering.  Of course it could have been the cable or something, but I got similar results doing the same test on the same 5GHz router network I used with my GearVR before.

It looks like my plan now is to, before spending the money on the new GearVR, try and modify my old one to work with my old Note 4 (I've seen people do it, just I'm aware that there may be some lens distortion issues or something apparently due to the Note 4's size)
  • Ah I don't tether, I use 5GHz wifi, and my LG G4 might be a bit newer / better for VR than the average phone then. However, I just never really had issues with the rotation on a Cardboard VR, even with a 1080p ZTE Axon 7 (old one)
  • @Ghostmij17 The Nolo works fine for orientation tracking, it just does slower sampling (60Hz compared to 100Hz for mobile and 1000Hz for GearVR). The point I was trying to make is that when you integrate another orientation tracking with Nolo positional tracking you have to work at Nolo's 60Hz so you lose the advantage that a higher sampling rate gives.