Feedback from Greg @ Driver4VR on 360 Deg tracking, NOLO VR + Kinect

Hi NOLO VR users! I emailed the creator behind Driver4VR (http://www.driver4vr.com/) regarding 360 tracking with an extra camera (Kinect or otherwise) and here is the response I received:

Yes. I think it id possible. But effort and not sure if many people want it.
Perhaps someone run survey on forum or other way to get feedback.

So in light of his comments, here is a survey to get a tally of how many people would be interested in this alternative solution. It would mean spending ~$30 for an Xbox Kinect camera in return for full 360 tracking.

Bear in mind we still do not know whether NOLO will try and implement some sort of 360 deg tracking with the current hardware...

http://www.strawpoll.me/13666327

Comments

• add to facebook group as well 
  • I don't just want it. It has been imperative for every friggin game I have played so far! Why wouldn't anyone want it? 360 tracking is a must for me!
  • @Jazneo I have already posted it on the facebook group as well as here :)

@Failrunner I totally agree, I think Greg wants to see actual numbers of interested people so I figured I would put together a VERY simple strawpoll. This would obviously make NOLO VR a very robust product at its price point.
  • edited August 9
    Yup that's my strong answer.  :)
  • This poll kind of amazed me... there is one person there that answered a "no"...
    Maybe was the frustrated whinging user?
  • Could be that they don't want to buy any extra hardware. I already have a spare Kinect for 360 and Xbox One with adapters so its okay for me luckily
  • Maybe, but why to go against it? If the software is there, you can choose to buy the kinect... but if there is no software capable of doing the job, the cameras are useless for this matter....
  • Yeah I agree its silly to reject it
  • I always thought it would be neat to be able to implement PS Move Service with Nolo to somehow get more precise tracking.  I know that relies on lights and Nolo really doesn't so I have no clue how it'd work, but still thought it'd be cool, lol
  • edited August 10
    So I just heard back from Greg, he is pretty keen on trying to sort this out, however he needs a bit of help... I am no programmer whatsoever, however I figured the power of the internet might come to help us out! Here is what he needs and I am unclear how difficult this is....

From Greg:
    I can make it really easy. Almost no calibration manual.
    But need this in c#
    https://elonen.iki.fi/code/misc-notes/affine-fit/

Ignore that comment! We may be near this sooner than we think.... :)

• It will be great, keep informing :)
    (360 deg for head and controllers, i think?)
  • edited August 14
    It's also worth noting: anyone interested in WalkinVR for its rotation + movement only should instead go for Driver4VR, because it has both and is cheaper! :)

The other things Greg has been doing for Driver4VR are icing on the cake, although his ideas for 360 tracking do sound really cool as well
  • A big yes! I've spent waaay too much on PsMoveService but the setup & tracking quality even with 4 cameras was not good enough for me. I wouldnt mind spending a few for a Kinect. I've attached my Nolo base sensor on my ceiling fan using velcro stickers, it would be nice if there is a second sensor for 360 tracking without me climbing up the ladder to get it on and off the ceiling!
  • Give give. I saw a similar kinect for iphones and androids.. Y is there not one for pc.