Tutorial for Oculus Go & NOLO CV1 SteamVR gameplay

edited June 7 in Support
This is a tutorial for Oculus Go & NOLO CV1 SteamVR gameplay, give it a shot if you are interested! Please be aware that the setup is quite complicated, if you find a better way, please do enlighten us!

https://business.facebook.com/notes/nolo-vr/tutorial-for-oculus-go-nolo-cv1-steamvr-gameplay/589237951456163/

Comments

• I'm currently working on a Oculus Go version of iVRy, that will support NoloVR. Are you intending to find some workaround for having to use remote desktop software to install NoloVR OTG? That's a deal-breaker for me, so I'm supporting NoloVR connected to PC at the moment with Oculus Go. I'm hoping that you'll refine the Android SDK a bit to make it a production product.
  • Hi @iVRy,

Currently there are some issues with the Oculus Go's OTG port. It is fully controlled by the Oculus system logic which NOLO can't solve:

Power supply issue. After our test, there are chances that the OTG function of Oculus Go could be automaticly disabled when battery power is under 40%. When it's under 12%, OTG function will be disabled for sure. Please ensure that the battery power is over 40% during gameplay.

Pop-up issue. Whenever another hardware connect to the Oculus Go via OTG port, a pop-up window will appear to confirm whether the software can to access the hardware info via OTG port. This system issue can't be bypassed. 

• Ok, that's a shame, it's not a viable user action to have to remote desktop into the headset every time they connect the NoloVR. Have you contacted Oculus to discuss this?
  • edited June 16
    I've also been playing with this and here are my findings.

The popup is annoying but "Ok" can be selected using a compatible bluetooth controller or pretty much any bluetooth mouse (I think most people will probably have at least one of these). Also I think this is an implementation issue on the Riftcat end, as other apps remember the preference after selecting it once (VirtualHere USB does).

As for the power issue I have noticed that using a standard USB OTG cable with a Micro USB Cable seems to work more consistently to power Nolo than the cable that came with the Nolo, Although still doesn't generally work if you connect it when battery is under ~20%, but if it's already connected it won't cut out during gameplay from what I've seen, so it's not really a deal breaker.

There is also another option for the wireless tracking that works fairly well in the form of VirtualHere USB. This essentially allows you to use your device (Oculus Go in this case) as a remote USB hub, allowing you to connect your Nolo over USB without a USB Cable. This seems to work fine with Riftcat but the only real benefit I can see is the 180 Turn Button which will hopefully be implemented by Riftcat Eventually (Otherwise I think the Riftcat Tracking might be slightly smoother). You still need a Bluetooth controller to press "Cancel" on the message that comes up when Riftcat starts, and Vysor is pretty much essential for the initial setup of VirtualHere USB.

I am currently trying to get the VirtualHere USB method working with the new ALVR (which provides much smoother head tracking than Riftcat). It almost works but the controllers don't seem to calibrate properly, which essentially makes it unusable. Though a weird thing, I am able to sort of move the controllers when turned right round despite just having the base station in the standard (front facing) configuration.

I currently think Riftcat with the built in Wireless Nolo Tracking (As described in the article) is the best solution, though it is far from perfect, with noticeable latency in the head tracking, that popup message, and currently no 180-turn button, making any games that require a 360-degree space impossible to play. Though I think the Riftcat team are working on most of these issues, as well as better Go Support, Their app is also more feature complete than any of the other solutions.

Don't know if there is currently a GearVR version of iVRy, but I would be happy to give it a shot on the Oculus with the VirtualHere USB method if there is. Also good luck with creating a version of iVRy for Oculus Go with Nolo Support. I personally think smooth head tracking (perhaps similar to ALVR) is a must, would also like to see audio streaming implemented as I feel it makes sense when playing without a tether.
  • edited June 19
    @alec100_94 Thanks for the great info. VirtualHere USB for the Go sounds like a very promising alternative and I can see other uses for it as well. Did you have to sideload the server software onto the Go? If so, any unusual steps other than just extracting the apk and adb install to the Go?